Since it was founded in 1966, Didsbury Civic Society has gained a membership of over 600 people, giving us strength in community consultations. Every new member helps us increase our presence so we can be heard.
The Society covers part of the area contained by the Manchester City Council wards of Didsbury East, Didsbury West and Burnage. The boundaries of the Society’s interest lie roughly from Palatine Road to the East and Kingsway to the West; from Oak Road and Parkville Road to the North and the River Mersey to the South. These wards are part of the parliamentary constituency of Manchester Withington.
The Didsbury Civic Society aims to represent the interests of residents of all ages in an ever-changing world by:
- Supporting the needs of local businesses;
- Ensuring Didsbury is well represented in any discussions with Manchester City Council and liaising with other relevant agencies and residents’ groups;
- Promoting good planning policy which conserves the best of the present environment and ensures new development is of appropriate quality;
- Encouraging a greater awareness of local history;
- Welcoming and encouraging local and council participation arranging visits, talks and social events to bring people together;
- Involvement with Didsbury in Bloom, Carols and Lights, Didsbury Festival, the Classic Car Show and the Guitar Trail.
Didsbury Civic Society is a registered charity CIO 1181126.